Thursday, July 18, 2013

The Catacombs

I can't believe I did it----I opted out of the massive lines to see Versailles Palace and hit up the creepy catacombs instead. The Paris catacombs are home to over 6 million corpses deep under ground.

I walked down 130 steps (20 meters) below ground level and found myself wandering through narrow corridors to reach the tens of millions of bones and skulls that lay in the walls. The corpses were put there during the 17 and 1800s because the city decided to shut down the largest cemetery due to public health reasons. They exhumed the bodies and put them underground.

You're all probably wondering why the heck I would want to tour the creepy catacombs...I honestly have no idea. I think I'm starting to go a little nutty after traveling for a month. At least there's only one day to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment