Sunday, July 7, 2013

Meet my Sponsor Child!

Meet my new sponsor child, Filomena! She is a 12 year old girl from Kampala who desperately needed my help. She, along with the other sponsor "waitlist" children arrived to the house today. We played games and crafts with them before I fell in love with her!

She is kind of a shy girl, but really blossoms when you get to know her (kind of like me!) Her beautiful eyes lit up when I bought her a soda. She was so thankful. She has 6 brothers and sisters (one of them has passed away), and lives with her mom and aunt in a small city shack. Her father died a few years ago. I think they are really poor and cant afford the basics after paying for school (you pay for all school grades in Uganda). Her shoes are broken but Im buying her new ones. She is a few years behind in school, but is really motivated to go.

Filomena has been on the Empower a Child sponsor waitlist since she was 7, but no one had sponsored her as she waited many years. As a sponsor, my monthly contribution pays for her school fees, materials, books, school lunch, medical care, home visits, and much more. This money, although minimal to Americans, is life changing not only for the child, but also for their entire family. Many Ugandans drop out of school because it is too expensive. They end up reproducing very young, and the cycle repeats.

Filomena's face lit up when I told her that I'd be sponsoring her. She ran right up to me and gave me a big hug.

I urge anyone reading this to consider sponsoring a child through Empower a Child. It is a legit Christian organization (my entire mission trip is run through them) and its only $35 a month. I realized that i spend more than that ordering pizza or picking up junk at Target. You can really change a life with this!!!

Personally I've never sponsored a child before because I've always wondered if the money was actually going to the kids. I can honestly say that these children DO exist, the money DOES go to them, and it DOES change lives. Each child has frequent home visits, school assessments,  and writes letters to their sponsors regularly (I assisted a child today with her English letter). I hope you all have room in your hearts to change someone's life. If you would like to do this, please Facebook me and I can actually help you select a child that I've met. God bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment