Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Rafting on the Nile

I can't believe timid me just went white water rafting down the Nile River! Ive never rafted or seen rapids----heck I dont even like water! I was somehow coerced into rafting the treacherous class five rapids in none other than the world's largest river.

But......I'm so glad that I did! What an experience! First we had to make the 2 hour drive to Jinja, Uganda before we strapped on our life jackets and "practiced" tipping over. The others in the boat had all rafted class 3 or 4 rapids before, so I was kind of the weak link. I was terrified of being swallowed up by the water but I soon got over that.

Our day of rating included many sets of rapids that ranged from scary to insane. We even went down a waterfall without flipping over. We stopped on the shore for a traditional Ugandan lunch and then set off again. A few hours later we grabbed our boogy boards and tried riding the waves.  I was of course unsuccessful.

The last set of rapids was insane. Our raft flipped, I was stuck underneath it, then swallowed up by another giant wave. I panicked under water and swallowed a bunch of water. When I rose to the surface I grabbed the neatest rafteter and nearly drowned her! Somehow I got separated from the group and had to get rescued by a kayaker. What an experience! Would I do it all again??? In a heartbeat!

No comments:

Post a Comment