Sunday, July 14, 2013

Hanging out with my Sponsor Child

Today I got to spend some time with my new sponsor child, Philomila (had the wrong spelling of her name before). I took her to the zoo, lake Victoria, and out for lunch and ice cream. She had never been outside of Kampala or her uncle's village before so it was a lot of fun.

I was glad I got the time to get to know her better. She was just beaming in smiles the entire time. She usually walks home to/ from our Empower a Child guesthouse by herself,  but when I found out that it's an hour walk I insisted on bringing her home....in a cab of course!

I'm glad I did because I got to see her home and meet her family. Her siblings are all so sweet. The home really is only a shack the size of my spare bedroom. She sleeps there with her mom and 6 siblings.  I dont know how they do it!

I was very sad to say goodbye.  It's hard to think that realistically I probably wont ever see her again. At least I know that I can write her and send her gifts. Empower a Child will meet with her a few times a year to help her reply to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment